Wednesday 31 July 2013

Day in the Life Summer 2013

I have wanted to do a day in the life post for a long time probably since Joss was small but everytime I tried  something came up or halfway through the day everything collapsed.  So when I saw that Navigating the Mothership was doing her summer DITL post and inviting her readers to join in and link up I jumped on the band wagon.  It has been a great process and really allowed me to look from the outside at how we spend our days and to also look at what I like and what I would like to change.  I know a lot of days Philip will ask what have you guys done with your day and I just stare at him with a blank look shrug and say "kept two kids alive" and while that is how it feels it is good to actually be able to see the day as a whole.  So here goes the good, the bad, and the ugly:



As I hear Jasper stir I grab my phone to check the time, as it light so early I have been guilty of at times getting up to start the day at the slightest noise.  As Jasper nurses I check social media and read blogs on my iPhone (seriously what did women do while they were nursing before smart phones?).

While I am doing this Philip is showering then gets Joss from her room where she has been patiently (or not so patiently) waiting for him to finish so they can go down and do her breakfast.  I can hear her non stop chatter as she helps him make her breakfast and I doze off as Jasper finishes feeding.

6.50 Philip comes up to say good bye to Jasper and I.  I get up and go to change Jasper before heading down to get Joss to finish her breakfast.  On this particular morning she decides to come up while I am changing Jasper so I go ahead and get her dressed for the day.  She knows it is Thursday so it is "Seb Gym Day" (she does Gymnastics with her best friend Seb and some how over the last six months it has come to be know as "Seb Gym Day")  as she gets dressed she goes through the days of the week which goes something like this."First Wednesday then Tuesday then Wednesday then Tuesday then Wednesday then Thursday which is Seb Gym Day" Yes our whole week rotates around "Seb Gym Day" and on Friday she will ask "When is Seb Gym Day" and I start a week of going though the days of the week till "Seb Gym Day".  I figure at least she is learning her days of the week.

She knows she has to have a pony tail for Gymnastics and decides on the day she wants "Two Pony Tails" or piggy tails. As I start the process of parting her hair she changes her mind and decides she wants one pony tail I confirm her choice at which point she decides no it is a two pony tail day.  She does not want to sit still while I try to part her hair and we end up with a small melt down but pony tails are finally in place.  Jasper chills on the bed while I watch her get dressed and do her hair for her.

7.15 Jasper goes on his play mat and I turn the TV on to Joss' TV programs while I quickly eat and do my hair.

7.40 Jasper is getting tired so I set up Joss with her water and the potty in the living room and let her know that if she gets hungry her toast is still at the table and I am going up to get Jasper settled for nap.  I get up to the bedroom with Jasper and can tell he is going to settle easily and almost give a sigh of relief as I hear Joss at the bottom of the stairs "Mummy I have done a wee in my knickers"  This is Joss' new thing when she is upset I am spending time with Jasper.  I set Jasper in his Moses basket with fingers crossed as he has that drowsy look, grab a change of clothes for Joss, and head down to have her change herself.  I get the mess cleaned up and her reset up and let her know I am going to finish settling Jasper.  I peek in and while he is not asleep yet he is heavy eyed and almost there.  I start a bath as it is early and with Jasper easily settled I will have time.  I tidy Joss' room and grab a load of laundry to throw in while I wait to make sure Jasper is going to fall asleep on his own.

8.15 After starting a load of laundry I quickly jump in the bath leaving the door open so Joss can come in if she wants.  I actually get a bath and get dressed before she wanders in while I am brushing my teeth and joins me.

8.30 I quickly grab the laptop and pay the bills that don't come out direct debit as it is payday for me and switch loads of laundry.  As the weather looks iffy and we are heading out soon I hang it on the racks indoors seriously there is ALWAYS laundry in the machine, drying, and in baskets waiting to be put away.

As Joss' is happy playing I quickly jot down a grocery list thinking if all the planets align this afternoon and there is a good time between nursing and Joss is in good spirits I MIGHT hit the shops (it never happened)


8.55 Hear Jasper stiring on the monitor and know he will be ready for a feed so tell Joss that it is time to feed Jasper which elicites squeals of delight as she knows that it means she gets to play her games on my phone.

9.02 realize I didn't close the notes I had been making for DITL and Joss has deleted them in the process of trying to get into her game as she won't allow me to do it any more this girl is all about "do it myself". Take a few deep breaths.

9.20 Jasper is fed and dressed and I get Joss into our going out routine of sitting on the potty and getting her shoes and her hand bag which keeps her sunglasses and what ever small toys she can shove in it.  At the moment it is play food ham, bread, and knife so she can make ham sandwiches.

Putting her shoes on is all a bit much for my little drama queen


Poor Jasper gets roped into carrying the tax disc I realize I need to put in the car


We are actually out the door earlier than I thought so on top of picking up nappies because I am down to one, and I know if I risk going out with only one Jasper will have a run of blow outs, I decide we have time to stop and get diesel as well at the petrol station which is right next to the grocery store.


With two small kids there is no such thing as popping into a shop for nappies and in true fashion there is a melt down at the check out when I tell Joss no to getting a Bob the Builder magazine.  

10.00 On the road for Seb Gym which is actually in two parts the first is an optional Parent and Toddler session which is open to anyone and as Joss is enrolled in the lessons after we can attend for free.  Jasper has fallen asleep in his car seat and our favorite coach Debbie offers to keep an eye on him so I don't have to risk waking him when tranfering him to his Mai Thai sling.


Joss seems all about the balance beam today which is out of character for her, usually she wants to spend the whole 45 minutes swinging on the rings or waiting for turns on the trampoline.  I am so amazed at how much she has grown since starting gymnastics she has never been one to be afraid of trying things and is quite the dare devil so no fear of heights or swinging around, but her ability to sit and wait her turn and follow direction has gotten so much better even at the parent and toddler session. As soon as she walks into the gym she knows "the rules".

10.45 There is a 15 minute break from the parent and toddler session and the stuctured lessons so Joss and I set up chairs for Seb, his mother Fran, and another mother who we have made friends with and Joss has snack.  As soon as Seb arrives they are off running around like crazy loons.

11.00 Joss goes in for lessons, I love the fact that in a few short months Joss has gone from being shy and not sure she even wanted to go in to standing in the queue and waiting for her name to be ticked off the role as she goes in all by herself.

While Joss is in lessons I feed Jasper while chatting with Fran and the other mother we each have two children ranging in age from four years down to Jasper at 2 1/2 months and it is so nice to chat about how the kids are doing and to share milestones and also chat about challenges and realize that actually our kids aren't so bad, other kids throw tantrums in the middle of the grocery store and refuse to put their shoes on.

12.00 Joss comes out and I chat with her about what she did in lesson while I help her with her shoes. We start the journey to the car park which is huge and busy and I always have a heart in my throat moment as I worry she will run off and get hit by a car as she is so excited by walking out with Seb.
One hot sweaty mama after running after Joss with Jasper in his car seat but two kids safe and buckled into the car.  

12.15 Joss decides about two miles from home that she HAS to wee and she can't make it home. Luckily I have a potty in the trunk of the car and whip into the nearest parking lot.


12.00 Home again, on Thursdays after gymnastics I always feel like I have put a full day in by the time we get home but it is so worth it for all the skills Joss is picking up.

Jasper has fallen asleep in the carseat so I carry him in and leave him in the hall where it is quiet and quickly throw together sandwiches for Joss and I.

Ham and cheese oh yeah we are gormet around here!

I make the mistake of thinking that I can open the mail while Joss and I eat only to find out that a bill we changed last month is no longer coming out direct debit and I have the final notice and that when we changed car insurance that our old insurance did not forward on some of the details and if we don't update the information we will loose our good rate.  

I make the second mistake of thinking I can multitask and deal with paying the bill over the phone, who ever invented voice automated systems did not take into consideration having a three year old in the back ground yelling that she wants to talk on the phone.  


I txt Philip as I am unsure of where the car insurance details are and thus begin a crazy hour of Joss not doing quiet time after lunch as usual, Jasper waking and wanting to be fed right as Philip is trying to ring me an give me the info for the car insuranc,e and having my phone die as it is out of battery, while the cat pukes.  I didn't take a photo of the cat puke you can thank me later.

2.00 Joss finally goes in her room for quiet time favourite story choice at the moment is Daisy the Donut Fairy.  I try not to whip through it in record time as this is the 967th time I have read it this week.



 Jasper finishes nursing and a small amount of order is resumed.

2.45-3.00 Jasper settles for nap, again he is quite happy to go in his Moses basket drowsy and settle himself.  I am greatful for such a chilled baby but on Thursdays especially I feel like he get forgotten and just has to "get on with it". Joss comes off quiet time about 2.45.


3.11 Mama collapses on the couch to try and chill for a few minutes while Joss is playing but as usual this happens
 

3.30 Afternoon snack of strawberries from our Strawberry Picking Adventure the day before

4.00 Jasper is up from nap and Joss and I head up to play with him on out bed. All starts out nice until Joss decides that the flannel I have given him to play with in his hands as I can't find his taggi is hers (techniquly it is but she never uses it).  After a small fit Joss grabs my Lola's Cupcake cookbook from the side of the bed and decides to read Jasper and I a story. It goes something like this "Here is a yummy cupcake *turns the page* and another yummy cupcake *turns the page* look mummy a yummy cupcake".







4.30 We all head downstairs so I can start Joss' dinner and I manage to quickly sweep the kitchen floor.  At some point here Jasper has gone down for another nap.

4.45 Joss sits down to eat while I chat with her the chosen topic is how everyone gets to work.  Daddy rides a push bike to the train, Uncle Richard rides a push bike to work, Grandma drives her vroom vroom car.  I unload and reload the dishwasher as we chat.

5.05 Joss gets in the bath while I nurse Jasper, joy of joy he does a deadly nursing poo that requires a wardrobe change for the both of us.  Luckily the upstairs is set up so I can see the bath from Jasper's changing table and I grab a new pair of pants from the pile in a basket in the hall for me.
I am gosh darn cute even if I poo all over you!

5.45 Jasper chills on Joss' bed while I help her get her PJs on and comb her hair.  Then start the bedtime ritual of "Two Pat" or the two episodes of Postman Pat.
How else would one watch TV?

6.20 Good Night call to Daddy and Joss places her breakfast order of toast with Marmite for the following day.  Good night kisses from Mama and Jasper.  I take Jasper into our room to "whisper sweet nothings" to him and enjoy a few precious minutes with just him.

6.35 Joss is passed out and I get Jasper in his PJs as he is sleepy

6.45 Call with Philip to chat about the day and discuss details of our flat that is finally in the process of being sold.  Jasper falls asleep while we are chatting an I transfer him to his Moses basket.

7-7.25 willfully waste time looking at blogs, Facebook, and instagram.

7.25-7.40 Take advantage of the fact MIL is on vacation I was able to park on the drive and attack mess in car and repack the changing bag for our Friday morning activities


I know I have two small children but it amazes me that it get so bad so quick

7.40 Jasper stirs and it is time for a feed

8.00 Jasper in Moses basket drowsy from feed fingers crossed he will drift off.

8.00-9.00 My mad house cleaning hour.  I deep clean the kitchen and wash all the hand wash items that can't go in the dishwasher, wipe down the counters, organize a cupboard that always spills it's contents as soon as you open it.  I grab all the dry clothes off the racks and do a marathon folding and organizing session so that I can quickly put it away in the morning.

9.00-9.30 look up recipe for refrigerator oatmeal and make a batch for the morning, general shut down of the house windows and blinds closed last quick tidy up while I obsessively check Skype to see if my mom is on.

9.45-10.15 ME TIME! A bath in which I get to shave and exfoliate followed by putting on lotion oh to the small pleasures!



10.15 Dream feed


My work here is done because *in whispered voice* Jasper has been sleeping through the night for almost three weeks. I am almost afraid to type it out after Joss not going longer than 4 hours until she was almost 9 months.

11.15 somewhat drowsy and almost asleep I hear the garage door as Philip puts his bike away and I feel secure enough to fall asleep.





4 comments:

Unknown said...

What DID ladies do before smartphones??!? LOL! I catch up on all my social media and news while nursing too :)
I can't even explain the jealousy I feel that your boy is sleeping through the night already! And he is like a month younger than mine :( He sounds like a dreamy, easy baby. I'm happy for you...really I am. I had one of those (Adelle), so I shouldn't be so envious... but I am! LOL!

Becki said...

Busy day! I love the cupcake book. It is so nice when the kids can read a book to you instead of the other way around!

Heather said...

Seriously - what did we do before Smartphones?!

I loved reading about your daughter's gymnastics class. My little girl is a monkey and I think she'd love a class like that. Nice that you have a parent/child time and a solo child time as well.

Jo said...

I think I am the last person on earth without a smartphone. When I nursed I totally thought I would watch TV or read magazines, but those were just distracting to the baby. I ended up watching an entire season of 'It's Sunny in Philadelphia' and '24' on mute. I'm pretty sure it changed the intended experience.